Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Knockout Technique

Hi friends! I was scrolling on facebook, I saw this super cute Christmas desgin using the knock-out method by Savanna Marshall.  What that is is where you have words and knock-out an image in those words. Like christmas lights knocked out of the words Merry Christmas!


So I made these 2 designs in Cricut Design Space and asked the group which one I should make, 200 comments later, it was pretty evenly split on which I should make. So I made both! 






If you want to learn how to do this,, read on! If you want this file go like my Facebook page here: Projects by Polis and I've posted the links! Please like my page while you're there! The entire image is produced in Cricut Design Space, you may have to pay for the lights on on option A. But it’s only $0.99! 

I also am available to teach you this method in person or via video chat! 

  • You’ll want to use the font IMPACT and get the letters as close together as possible. Also, make sure you make the lines as close together as possible.
  • Next you’ll weld the text together 
  • Duplicate it. 
  • Hide the duplicate for later use. 
  • You’ll want to choose an image to knock-out. 
    • Start with selecting an image - for the purpose of this lesson I picked a simple Christmas tree. If it’s multiple layers, you’ll need to weld it all together. 


  • Next, I will center the tree over the text, size it to be the same height as the text, and choose slice. This action will turn the entire image to a single color, in this instance, grey.




  • You want to hide the sliced part of the tree. This part: 


  • Next, you want to un-hide the text that you duplicated earlier and put it into position over your sliced tree. 
  • Hide the part with the tree sliced out. 
  • Change the colors so that they match the materials you will use. 
  • You’ll cut these 2 pieces and voila! You’ve done your first knock-out! 
    • (You would cut the red & green part, you can just delete or hide the grey)



This is a video showing how to do it: